ATLAS is a research project, co-funded by the Region of Piedmont, which allowed to build a platform for the transposition of a text in Italian Sign Language in the animation of a Virtual Actor made in 3D computer graphics. The ATLAS technology therefore provides support for language translation of the signs of audiovisual content, teletext, subtitles, and Internet pages, allowing you to convey the translated content to mobile terminals, digital televisions and web platforms.
You can also assume new services for the deaf, compared to a process of analysis on the implications both technical and socio-cultural and using strong synergies between RAI and all the actors involved as the ENS, the LIS Interpreters Association and not the past deaf people:
- Cultural and tourist information assets: The departments and stewardships to cultural heritage could benefit greatly from the availability of a service that allows the language description of the signs of monuments, works of art, architectural contexts, cultural, tourist and recreational offerings from a territory. Creating an integrated network of services, it would be possible to use the QR code to provide a unique reference to monuments, commemorative plaques, signs in the public interest. The dull, reading with your smartphone QR code associated for example to an exhibit or monument, you can display on your device relative in sign language interpreter operated virtual description.
- Information for travelers: Inside Stations and Airports would be possible to provide deaf people (on informational videos panels or personal device) an alert service and reporting of immediate information utilities such as timetables, delays, information related to the topic safety and all the news that are delivered through speakers.
- On-Demand Translation: Translation in LIS by Actor Alerts content that, for the specific nature of the topics, vocabulary used, the inherent complexity of language Medical / Legal / Tax, may be difficult to understand. In this case it will be necessary to add to the platform the language scope specific signs required.
- Lessons College / School: Translation in LIS by Actor Virtual educational and training content, for example, lectures, training courses and ministerial programs.
- Books / Novels / Stories: Many editorial content, including short stories, novels, textbooks, could be translated in order to be enjoyed by deaf people in their native language. This would facilitate the understanding of the content and would allow a more immediate approach to the work and communicative.