The Rai Centre for Research, Technological Innovation and Experimentation
The Rai Centre for Research, Technological Innovation and Experimentation (CRITS) was founded in Turin in 1930 as “Laboratorio e Officine”, then, in 1961, it became “Research Laboratory”, in 1999 it assumed the name of “Center for Research and Technological Innovation” and, from 2018, the current one. Its headquarters was located from 1960 until 2014 in Corso Eusebio Giambone 68 and, from november 2014 in Via Giovanni Carlo Cavalli 6, always in Turin.
The Rai Centre for Research, Technological Innovation and Experimentation supports the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) in defining the technological evolution strategy towards the media company and towards improving the quality of customer services.
It has a central role in the planning of the Technological Activities.
It supports the company in fulfilling the Contract of Rai-state service activity of Technological Research.
Study the New Technologies and I trend in the field of Production Multi audio-video platform, the New services
multimedia and transmission of fixed and mobile NETWORKS.
It contributes to the definition of technical standards bodies and organizations working with personnel on the field
nationally and internationally.
Experiments in the laboratory and in the field New Systems and Services.
it cooperates and supports the Ingegnerie for the development of strategic activities and applications, ensuring flexibility in the use of resources and promoting synergies and integration with other business areas of inter-disciplinary projects, with particular reference to the safety of the services currently in use , the consolidation of digitization projects initiated and the development of networks, transmission standards and special services.
It contributes to the growth of the corporate culture in the field of technology, promoting training courses
for technical personnel, seminars and publications.
- Received 14 September at IBC 2014 in Amsterdam a prestigious international prize for the best paper of the conference, describing the experimental work carried out in the Valle d’Aosta on an application of second-generation digital terrestrial (T2-lite).
- Received September 15 a prestigious international award for technological innovation with VISION Cloud project, at IBC 2013 in Amsterdam.
- Received in December 2011 the ‘‘Giovanni Giovannini. Nostalgia di futuro” prize, in the context of the Conference “Innovation between sustainability and development” for ‘invention of the first microphone system able to make the acoustic zoom without solution of continuity.
- Received ICMT Award 2011 for convergence Media-driven to “Rai +” project, which won for “the high level of convergence between content and platforms, made contextualizing the flow of images, video and television texts through the use of traditional technologies the Internet and the telecommunications world.
With Rai + is introduced into the television viewing using new terminals (tablets and smartphones) that make much more simple and immediate interactivity in the future use of advanced services. The prize was delivered by Giorgio Napolitano, President of Italian Republic.
- Received in November 2010 the “Giovanni Giovannini. Nostalgia di futuro” prize, assigned to Rai for the high contribution of technological innovation in the field of automatic media processing (Hyper Media News and ANTS projects).
- Received in June 2010 the ICMT Media Convergence prize for the Hyper Media News System and its innovative approach to addressing convergence between different content types and the contribution for aa sector of crucial importance as that of information. The prize was delivered by Giorgio Napolitano, President of Italian Republic of during the Innovation Day.