System for scanning News
Digital production of computerized News is under construction. The production model of news and associated headings is based on the exploitation of contents acquired not long before publication. In fact a certain theme is “hot” for a few days, until it is overtaken by some new event.
The fundamental building blocks of a system of production News are: a component of “ingest”, for importing content from acquisition flows, a “storage”, which houses the audio-visual materials for the time of interest (short term archive term), components for editorial work, to export to publication channels, such as live news and the web, and final storage component.
This model seems to marginalize the long-term archive, but that is also an important source of content, provided that the access mode meet the requirements of speed and certainty of timing. The ability to package news and reports with original and not repetitive references is a quality factor of the product news and archival content made in times past, even remote, can be related to current events, as well as with the issues of columns or talk shows. But today, with the materials recorded on Betacam tapes, mostly analog, limited cataloging and need to check and reverse any interest segments, the archive is not found at all in the right situation.
The digitization process allows one hand to enter in the “storage” of the new system News a quantity of materials, selected by editors, in order to avoid a “vacuum departure”, that is, allowing to have immediately available, file mode, the content with greater likelihood of use, and, at the same time, responds to the needs of permanent preservation in digital form. The system requirements include the digitization in a standard format, suitable for reuse in production both immediately and in the long term, quality verification and documentation. The process should be as automatic as possible, so as to predict the execution time and reasonable costs. The scanning apparatus used, the Sony IMX video recorder with eVTR interface, which is the meeting point between traditional audio-video technology and computer, allows you to download the contents of the tape Betacam MXF-D10 file (now on use in SDTV production), as an ftp web service.
The storage of large amounts of these files, which require 30GB / hour of capacity, poses the problems of cost and of the archive security. The data tapes LTO4 type allow you to save a single file support for up to 26 hours of video to the quality of production and provide a good compromise between accessibility and cost of storage. Safety is ensured by duplicate and data integrity can be verified with the utmost precision.
The knowledge of the state of digital storage problems is the result of participation in PrestoSpace European projects (completed in 2008) and PrestoPRIME (active 2009-2012).
- R. Del Pero, G. Dimino, M. Stroppiana, “Media Library: the Rai experience”, Elettronica e Telecomunicazioni, n. 1, Aprile 2000.
- C. Anderson, “The Long Tail” Wired, October 2004.
- A. Messina, R. Borgotallo, G. Dimino, L. Boch, D. Airola Gnota, “An Automatic Indexing System for Television Newscasts”, IEEE ICME 2008, Hannover, June 2008.
- R. Borgotallo, G. Dimino, A. Messina, “ANTS: a complete system for automatic news programme
annotation based on audiovisual content and text analysis”, EBU Technical Review nr. 313, Geneva, March 2008.
- A. Messina, M. Montagnuolo, “A Generalised Cross-Modal Clustering Method Applied to Multimedia News Semantic Indexing and Retrieval”, 18th International Conference on World Wide Web, Madrid, April 2009.
- M. Montagnuolo, M. Ferri, A. Messina, “HMNews: an Integrated System for Searching and Browsing Hypermedia News Content”, HyperText 2009, Torino, June 2009.
- L.R. Rabiner, “A tutorial on hidden Markov models and selected applications in speech recognition”, Proceedings of the IEEE, February 1989, Volume: 77, Issue: 2, page(s): 257-286.
- F. Brugnara, M. Cettolo, M. Federico, D.Giuliani, “A system for the segmentation and transcription of Italian radio news”, in
Proceedings of RIAO, Content-Based Multimedia Information Access, Paris, France, 2000.
- R. Basili, M. Cammisa, E. Donati, “RitroveRAI: A Web Application for Semantic Indexing and Hyperlinking of Multimedia News”, in Proc. of “International Semantic Web Conference”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 3279, 97-111, Springer, 2005.
Hyper Media News
System for automatic content analysis
Hyper Media News is a system able to integrate the information automatically generated by ANTS with the information on the web and made available through the daily online information sites.
The Hyper Media News system, together with ANTS, has already been successfully demonstrated on several occasions during international scientific conferences and during the Prix Italia 2009.
Automatic Newscast Transcription System
It was built a platform, called ANTS, targeted analysis auto news. It is a modular system in which several of the audiovisual signal analysis tools are coordinated by a process management engine, which has the task of making sequential stages of the preparation, and to aggregate the resulting data.
Archives and digital Thecae
A huge archive and information technology to turn it into a working tool, in a handy storage, in a familiar territory and just a click away. It ‘a complex enterprise that aims to computerize the Teche Rai, with problematic issues on which you are measuring a multi-year business plan.
Computerization of Production
We need to move from a television production model based on vertical supply chains to a horizontal integration. From an organizational and technological structure based on separate joints and specialized on a particular distribution channel, to an integrated model capable of producing and distributing content on heterogeneous channels.